The HRE project is a complex undertaking and requires access to volunteers from a wide variety of areas. Our need at this stage is for skilled volunteers to help us design and write HRE, and to manage our community. If you see yourself as a potential end-user, but aren't able to volunteer at this point, please keep in touch by joining our mailing list and making a donation.
If you would like to volunteer your time and have skills in any of the areas listed below please let us know now.
We are seeking one or more volunteer project managers to oversee the HRE project. Significant project management experience is required, preferably although not necessarily within an open source environment. Formal project manager qualifications such as PMP would be an advantage but are not essential.
We would expect the project manager(s) to oversee and report on:
- The implementation plan (adherence to schedule, management of slips, base levels and releases)
- Resource management (skills, meeting commitments of schedule and functionality, reporting)
- Scope management
- Release and regression testing
We are seeking a diverse community of volunteer software developers, ranging from core developers to take the lead in developing and maintaining the codebase, to programmers who could provide more intermittent assistance on an as-needed basis.
We are particularly interested in developers with the following skills. Please don't hesitate to contact us, though, if you have other skills that you think the project might be able to make use of.
- Java / Java Swing
- GUI design or implementation
- SQL Database design or implementation
- H2 Database
- Client/Server design or implementation
- Drupal 8 CMS
- Linux kernel web host administration
- Software Quality Testing
- Usability testing
Community and platform management
We will need help to look after our community and to develop and maintain our platforms and tools. Specific skills of interest include:
- Open source community management experience
- MediaWiki experience, especially admin experience
- WordPress experience
- Mailing list management
- Media, Publicity and Events
Technical writing, translation and design
- Graphic Design (Web / Documentation)
- Technical Writing / Editing
- Non-English Language Translating
Legal and corporate
- Finance / UK company returns
- Intellectual Property Law
Research Area expertise
- We would welcome approaches from academics and individual researchers with expertise in specific areas of historical or genealogical research to help us ensure that HRE is flexible enough to cover as many specialist areas as possible.
To express an interest in volunteering, or to seek more information, please contact us.